Skip To Content

What Injured Workers Need to Know

Employees must report every on-the-job injury or illness immediately to their employer. Here’s how to stay connected with your claim and your care

Best Practice

If you suffer a workplace injury, our top priority is making sure you receive the care you need. The first step is to always report an on-the-job injury or illness immediately to your employer. From there, we’ve highlighted a few key items to help you stay connected with your claim and your care.   

Your Claims Adjuster

Shortly after reporting your injury, you’ll be assigned a claims adjuster who will serve as your primary contact for questions about your claim or benefits. If you do not know the name of your adjuster, call 800-482-7276 between 8 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Central time. 

Your adjuster can help you: 

  • Check the status of your benefit check 
  • Change your treating doctor 
  • Update your address (this must be done by you or your legal representative) 
  • Report a change in your employment status. For example, if you begin working after your injury, Texas law requires that you report the amount you earn and the employer's name as soon as possible. 

Getting Medical Care 

For an emergency, please seek treatment at the nearest hospital emergency room. In all other situations, you must choose a primary care doctor on the Political Subdivision Workers’ Compensation Alliance website. Specialists may not be chosen without prior approval.  

Your employer will give you a Verification of Employment for a Reported on the Job Injury form and Optum First Fill Medication card for you to give your doctor and pharmacy for your initial treatment. This will ensure you do not have to pay for your initial care. No claim number or authorization is needed for initial treatment, as these forms have all the necessary information for billing. 

Tax Info 

You do not have to pay taxes on your workers' compensation benefits, so you will not receive a W-2. 

Additional Resources 

To learn more about workers’ compensation, visit the Texas Department of Insurance.