In 1974, tennis couple Chris Evert and Jimmy Connors won Wimbledon, Watergate dominated the news, and we began teasing our brains with the Rubik’s Cube. Hank Aaron broke Babe Ruth’s home run record, and a streaker invaded the stage at the Academy Awards, and we marveled at the Six Million Dollar Man.
Fortunately, at that same time, forward-thinking leaders in public education were busy preparing for the future. New legislation called for school districts to provide workers’ compensation coverage, and it became difficult for many districts to get affordable coverage. TASB leadership quickly authorized the development of a joint fund, and formed the TASB Workers' Compensation Self-Insurance Fund (WCSIF).
The success of WCSIF in meeting districts’ needs paved the way for additional risk management programs – Employee Benefits, Unemployment Compensation, and Property & Casualty. In 1997, these individual programs merged to become the TASB Risk Management Fund.
For the past 40 years, the Fund has been providing exemplary coverage and outstanding service to its members and we plan on expanding on this great history for many years to come. There are literally hundreds of examples in which the Fund provides comprehensive risk solutions, and to honor our history, we have chosen a few as evidence of the kind of service we provide.
25 ways the Fund supports members
- Statewide Attorney Panel
- Annual Members’ Conference
- Exposure/Hazard Surveys
- UC Quarterly Wage Coordination
- The Alliance
- Video Resource Training Library
- Regionally-Based Staff
- Partnership with TASB
- Emergency Management and School Security Program
- Excellence Awards
- Mission to support public education
- UC Hearings Assistance
- Innovative Pharmacy Benefit Management
- Webinar Training Series
- 1,000 Members and Growing
- Oldest and Largest Risk Pool Serving Texas School Districts
- Bus Collision Investigation Training
- Online Reports and Claim Reporting
- Interlocal Participation Agreement
- Safety Coordinator Training Course
- Claims Philosophy
- Six-time “High Tier” Performer by TDI Division of Workers’ Compensation
- Members’ Conference Coverage Credits
- Five comprehensive coverage programs
- Hundreds of Millions in Members’ Equity
So pick one, a few, or them all. They warrant a serious conversation of how the Fund can assist you in solving the risk management challenges you face. Thank you to each and every member for allowing us to reach this milestone. We would like to recognize the 52 Fund members who have been with at least one Fund program for the entire 40 years.