Schools face a number of liability risks, such as inappropriate relationships, bullying, and sexual harassment. The TASB Risk Management Fund (Fund) offers resources and coverage to help Legal Liability members address these issues.
School Liability Coverage
The Fund’s School Liability program includes Professional Legal Liability (PLL) coverage, General Liability (GL) coverage, and Employment Benefits Liability (EBL) coverage. We recognize the unique exposures and immunities of districts and other public entities, and we provide the appropriate coverage for members.
- The PLL program provides coverage for wrongful acts, meaning an act or alleged act or omission by a covered person (including bodily injury arising out of student discipline or punishment, sexual harassment, or violation of constitutional and civil rights) that result in a claim against the member.
- The GL program includes coverage for bodily injury, property damage, personal injury (such as libel, slander, and intellectual property infringement).
- The EBL program includes coverage for claims arising from administering an employee benefits plan.
Members can refer to their Contribution and Coverage Summary and School Liability Coverage Agreement for more information about coverage.
Legal liability in schools
Understanding the unique risks faced by schools and taking steps to prevent them will help you provide a safer and more effective learning environment.
Legal Liability Risk Consultant Charli Searcy specializes in risks such as Title IX, student matters, and employment-related issues. She can assist members in finding risk solutions to address the variety of legal issues facing Texas public schools.
Available services include:
- Developing and implementing training for Fund member employees
- Providing reinforcement of existing procedures or guidance on developing new procedures
- Evaluating procedures and making recommendations for improvement
- Educating members on issues such as Title IX compliance, cyberbullying, and more
Legal liability training empowers members to identify and address existing and emerging risks, as well as to maintain legal compliance. This training can strengthen existing procedures and provide a foundation for new procedures that address members’ evolving needs. Our goals for members are effective policies, proactive school districts and educational entities, and safer schools. The training and resources provided by the Fund are aimed at reducing incidents and preventing liability.
In-person training topics available by request include:
Contact us for help
Members can contact Legal Liability Risk Consultant Charli Searcy for guidance, training, and resources customized to address their legal liability risks. Visit the Fund webpage for more information and resources.