October is National Bullying Awareness Month, but addressing legal liability risks such as bullying should be an ongoing effort. Did you know the TASB Risk Management Fund (Fund) provides liability training and resources to School Liability members at no additional cost?
School Liability Coverage
The Fund’s School Liability program includes Professional Legal Liability (PLL) coverage, General Liability (GL) coverage, and Employment Benefits Liability (EBL) coverage. The Fund recognizes the unique exposures and immunities of districts and other public entities and provides the appropriate coverage for members.
- The Fund’s PLL program provides coverage for wrongful acts, meaning an act or alleged act or omission by a covered person (including bodily injury arising out of student discipline or punishment administered, sexual harassment, or violation of constitutional and civil rights) that result in a claim being made against the member.
- The Fund’s GL program includes coverage for bodily injury, property damage, personal injury (such as libel, slander, and intellectual property infringement).
- The Fund’s EBL program includes coverage for claims arising from administering an employee benefits plan.
Members can refer to their Contribution and Coverage Summary and School Liability Coverage Agreement for more information about coverage.
Legal liability in schools
Schools face a number of liability risks related to students and employees, such as inappropriate relationships, bullying, discrimination, and sexual harassment. Understanding these risks and taking practical steps towards preventing them will help your school district or educational entity provide a safer and more effective learning environment for students and staff.
Legal Liability Risk Consultant Charli Searcy specializes in topics relating to legal liability risks such as Title IX, student matters, and employment-related issues. She can assist members in finding risk solutions to address the variety of legal issues facing Texas public schools.
Available services include:
- Developing and implementing training for Fund member employees
- Providing reinforcement of existing procedures or guidance on developing new procedures
- Evaluating procedures and making recommendations for improvement
- Educating members on issues such as Title IX compliance, cyberbullying, and more
The Fund’s legal liability training empowers members to identify and address existing and emerging risks, as well as to maintain compliance with laws affecting members. The education offered may reinforce existing procedures or provide a foundation to create more effective procedures. Regardless, the Fund’s goals for members are effective policies, proactive school districts and educational entities, and safer schools. The training and resources provided by the Fund are aimed at addressing these risks, which can ultimately reduce incidents and prevent liability.
Training topics available by request include:
- Title IX coordinator role
- Title IX compliance/reporting
- Inappropriate relationships
- Sexual harassment/assault
- Retaliation (mistreatment)
Members can contact Legal Liability Risk Consultant Charli Searcy for guidance, training, and resources customized to address your legal liability risks. Visit the Fund webpage for more information and resources.